Before releasing the final set in the Arabella Bullion collection for 12″ x 8″ I would like to take you through a stitch out of one of the panels, GFE-ARB-5-14, to explain what I did and why, as well as the observations I made and the lessons I made from the mistakes that occurred. This panel is a horizontal panel which holds vertical pleats so it could be used on the yoke of a baby’s dress.
I love taking small embroidery designs and combining them into interesting shapes, especially in squares (quilt blocks) oval and circular ones. Most of my collections feature some type of edging or border, but as I add a border I am aware that I create a problem. Tiny circles, leaves and buds on the edge of the border mean that the design cannot be given the normal scalloped edge treatment where the underlay is embroidered and the fabric carefully trimmed away before satin stitches are added to finish off the design.
As the Arabella Bullion collection develops and I am creating larger panels and designs I want to explain what I understand to be the limitations of what can be smocked on your embroidery machine, for my own benefit in digitising them correctly and also for yours so you understand what sizes will work and what sizes are too large and therefore impossible…
Firstly let me wish you all a very Happy New Year. With a whole twelve months ahead we can dream about all the machine embroidered projects we would like to complete in 2018. To start you off on this journey of creativity I have a design to give you all…..
Those of you who follow my blog know that every Christmas I make a very special machine embroidered card for my sister from one of my designs. Last week I made this years one for her and thought I should show the stages of its construction. Back in the summer I released my collection for this year, The Gilded Treasures collection….
One of the many features of my new Arabella Bullion collection is that you can create your own embroidered smocking panels with the tiny elements from the first set on several sizes of basic panels. Let me show you how…..
Arabella is my youngest granddaughter and this new heirloom collection is named after her. Although she is already two years old I confess that I have been working on this collection for over two years. Smocking fascinates me and has become popular again probably because the Duchess of Cambridge has dressed her children in clothes featuring smocking these last few years.
A naughty fairy you ask? Let me explain. Back in 2017 I created the “Christmas” and “Snow” Angels with the promise of an update. Well in digitising and finishing off the update, a new angel with fairy wings I discovered she is inclined to misbehave in the hoop! To be sure that she gets a warm welcome in many homes this Christmas I have spent considerable time perfecting her…..
To celebrate ten years of creating machine embroidery I combined elements from several of my more recent collections. This combination has several variations and I have created lots of options within this new set called Embroidery Celebration. I have recently invested in some new colours from Sulky and I have used quite a few for this collection.
As I complete the final set in the Orchids for Ruth collection I was trying to decide what new colour scheme I could use for my final stitch out for this blog and what fabric I should use. I have stitched on ivory, brown and moss green silk dupion and have experimented with several colour schemes for my threads. When I need inspiration for the colours of flowers I usually search photographs online of the particular species. After discovering some beautiful photos of orchids I decided to do something quite bold. Continue reading