In completing my 12th Romantic Crazy quilt block I decided to be more flamboyant than usual. After I had added the four pastel shades of silk dupion along with some lace to the base fabric and completed the embroidery, I searched for lots of silk ribbon, pearls, crystals and other items to embellish my block. I find it is a good idea to lay them all out around the block to see what goes well and what doesn’t….
I cannot believe that my wonderful Husqvarna Epic machine is nearly a year old. I have so enjoy using it that it has taken me too long to blog further about it. I thought you would like me to share my favourite features of this machine, one year on. Today I was stitching out a new design whcih will be part of Morning Grunge 2 to be released in a few days, and I thought I would take this opportunity to show you what I love most of all about my machine. Continue reading
Today I embroidered out one of the more simple blocks from Beatrice Quilt blocks 2. I wanted to check how this particular design looked with a large quilted background similar to one I had used in one of the Celtic Ivy blocks. I used Schmetz Gold embroidery needles, 75/11 and Tire Silk #50 threads. First of all I hooped up some Stitch and Tear in my 8″ square hoop, then applied my Floriani Embroidery batting to that with temporary adhesive spray (never use this near your machine, computers or devices)…….
I am finishing off my latest 10 quilt blocks. These go through several stages of development, and I cannot release any designs until I am absolutely happy with the overall look of them. Some designs look perfect on my software even before their first stitchout after being digitised. Others do not quite look right, and some get trashed as unworkable. This design originally didn’t flow as there was a gap between the ribbons.
I have taken the Celtic angel and created two new angels for you, one with a red and white theme with butterfly wings and another with a snow theme and feathered wings. Both wings come in two sizes and as before your angel can be flat or can be given a skirt that will allow her to sit on top of the tree.
Each year I make it my aim to embroider a very special Christmas card for my sister. This year I was inspired by some wrapping paper. It wasn’t necessarily the design but the colour scheme that caught my eye. Something less traditional in grey, sage and bronze, with an element of metallic threads.
I love to challenge myself to learn new digitising skills and my customers to develop new machine embroidery skills. The latest project for this Christmas has been my biggest challenge yet. My first crazy quilted stocking has proved very popular but I am very much aware that it is not a stocking that will hold very much, so I decided to digitise a larger one for you all. However as you increase the size of the finished product, you limit the hoops that can be used and the amount of re-hooping that is required. Although my customers will be familiar with my Outline alignment stitches (OAS), I decided that more help was required for this stocking to avoid misplacement so I started to look at ways to make this foolproof. My inspiration came from a very unusual source, globe making …..
Viewing a full set of 12 large designs and seeing their potential is not always easy which is why I try to give as many hints as possible in my accompanying PDF’s. Make sure you always read any instructions which come with your machine embroidery designs. I use the PDF to share my thoughts on each design and in some cases exactly what I had in mind when I was digitising……
Adding some dimension to embroidery can be a challenge but I have tried to make it as easy as possible with the designs which have this option. A little practice may be advisable to perfect the technique, but when you master adding pre embroidered appliques to your projects, it opens up lots more choices and you will be so proud of your achievements. Let me show you how I took one of the Celtic Ivy designs and made it into something special and unique! Continue reading
Digitising flowers is a tremendous challenge. As I grow lots of flowers in my garden with the purpose of transforming them into embroidery, I realise how difficult it is to capture their beauty in stitches, which are just very small lines. It is easy to create a satin petal and then create a flower by grouping four, five or six of them together. I try to aim at more than that, although those type of flowers make excellent fill-ins. There are at least two ways to digitise flowers, flat as though you are looking at them from above, and in a more natural way, getting as close as is possible to the real thing.